TFC Ethos tab
“At The Flash Centre we believe in providing photographers with the tools to take their careers to the next level, but we don’t just mean the physical tools. Sure a nice camera and some studio strobes might help kick start things, but it’s the knowledge with which to master them that can make a huge difference to your images. Whether over the phone, in store, in one of our studios, at your studio, or in a workshop, we believe in empowering you with the knowledge to make the right purchase first time.” -Chris Whittle MD
TFC History Tab
The Flash Centre is a family run business, and has been a leading retailer and rental house of studio lighting for over 30 years. Today, lighting for stills and video remains at the heart of TFC, but our expertise doesn't end there. With extensive knowledge in everything photography, from Mirrorless to Medium Format, Tripods to Tethering Cables, Gimbals to Gaffer Tape... And much much more!
- Malcolm Whittle, a school teacher for almost 20 years buys Clark’s Cameras in Yeadon (near Leeds/Bradford Airport). He injects into this the second-hand camera sales business that he has been building for the last five years years trading as Malcolm D. Whittle, 8, Garth Road, Leeds. Jim Clarke who also has a Horsforth shop a few miles away, says that he will have Malcolm out of business in six months. The business is re-named Yeadon Camera centre.
- The Yeadon shop is sold to the adjacent Chemist and Malcolm moves to Leeds in the Merrion Centre, Leeds. The business is re-named Leeds Camera Centre.
- Leeds Camera Centre opens in London and by 1988 had professional premises in Leeds, London, Birmingham, and Manchester.
- Photographic Studio Consultants Ltd starts trading as The Flash Centre, based in The Brunswick Centre in London, just doors away from Leeds Camera Centre and Kodak. Specialising in the importation and distribution of Elinchrom studio flash, they also rent and service this for the burgeoning London Professional Photographic market.
- Quadrant Group PLC buy Leeds Camera Centre (now re-named Leeds Photovisual), The Flash Centre remains with Malcolm.
- Malcolm buys Elinchrom in Switzerland and the family continue to run The Flash Centre in the UK, now becoming the largest distributors of Elinchrom in the World.
- Chris Whittle takes over the running of The Flash Centre and in the years to 1997 buys Malcolm out, then focusses on broadening the product range and operational scope of the business. The Flash Centre opens a branch in Leeds attached to it’s small accounts office.
- TFC opens a small branch in Birmingham, two years later taking the adjacent unit as a demonstration Studio.
- theflashcentre.com is born and The Flash Centre Online becomes a reality..
- The Flash Centre Leeds moves into shared premises with the Leeds processing laboratory C.C.Imaging. Remember film ?
- The Flash Centre in London moves from The Brunswick Centre to Fountayne Road in Tottenham where they now have Studio demo facilities with a Gigabit line from which events can be live streamed.
The Flash Centre - Service Commitment tab
- Pre Sale Expertise:
- Dedicated to helping you with all your lighting and digital imaging needs, TFC staff have a wealth of experience in the various fields that make up our industry, and hold the UK’s most in depth understanding of the Elinchrom & Phottix studio lighting brands (Our parent company, PSC Ltd, are the long standing importers of Elinchrom, and more recently Phottix into the UK).
- Try Before You Buy Facility:
- Thinking of purchasing something but want to try it out first? Why not use our rental service to ensure you’re getting the perfect product? Everything we rent is available to try at your leisure, using our unique ’Try Before You Buy' scheme. When you rent something, and subsequently buy it, we'll give you half of the rental fee back (Ts & Cs apply).
- Competitive Pricing:
- Not only do we believe in providing the best possible service, but we always aim to offer the best prices as well. As part of our price promise we regularly check the competition first so you don’t have to. Seen a better price? No problem, we’ll aim to match it whilst maintaining our dedicated and personable approach to customer service.
- Credit Facility:
- Open a credit account with TFC and you’ll benefit from extended payment terms, plus deposit free rentals, the freedom to have orders shipped anywhere in the UK, and the flexibility to have a third party pick up kit on your behalf. Ask us for more information about our credit account options, and how to open one.
- After Sale Technical Support:
- We won’t forget about you once a sale has been completed! If you need help troubleshooting an issue, advice using a product feature, or assistance getting the most out of your purchase, we are on hand to help for the lifetime of your purchase. Whatever the query, no matter how small, we’re committed to helping you achieve!
- On-Going Product Training:
- Need some more in depth information? At TFC we can provide face to face tuition to you and your team, either at our in house studios at TFC Birmingham & London, or at your studio, at a time to suit you.
- Service & Repair of Equipment:
- Although unlikely, sometimes kit can go wrong. Supporting you at this time matters to TFC. We can offer the most competitive pricing and lead time on all Elinchrom & Phottix repairs, including ‘Pro’ Service’ options with a 2-3 day turnaround. For other brand repairs we’ll liaise with the suppliers/repairers, so you don’t have to.
- Stand By Loan Kit:
- If you kit fails within warranty, that’s no problem. We will provide free-of-charge loan gear so you can keep shooting until your kit is replaced or repaired (T&C’s apply).
- Reduced Rate Rental During Service:
- If you have a kit failure out of warranty, we’ve got you covered. If your kit is in for service, rent a replacement from an extensive range of camera and studio equipment, half price!
The Flash Centre, (TFC), are a family business and have been the UK’s leading Studio Lighting Specialists for over thirty years. Dedicated to helping you with all your lighting and digital imaging needs, TFC staff have a wealth of experience in the various fields that make up our industry. We will always do our best to help and offer the best advice we can.
Our services include full rental facilities, we carry all the latest equipment from Elinchrom in depth so we should never be able to say no! We also offer “Try before you buy deals” plus a loyalty bonus on all rentals.
We have an experienced team of service technicians, dedicated to returning your equipment to full working order in the shortest possible time using only manufacturers parts. Our repair technicians are all factory trained and we are the only official repairers for our imported lines, giving you the peace of mind and assurance that you require, all coupled with an efficient and friendly service.
TFC also supply a wide range of other carefully chosen branded products from a variety of suppliers, including Canon, Fujifilm, Manfrotto, Think Tank, Phottix, Rotolight, Broncolor, Colorama, Benro and many more.In short, whatever your needs, we will try our best to help and to empower you with the knowledge to make the right purchase first time. The Flash Centre look forward to hearing from you soon.